The Graduate Student Senate has developed a Group Event Funding mechanism, extending our funding support to graduate student organizations in order to help offset the costs of hosting an event which will benefit and enrich the UMass Dartmouth graduate student community. Organizations who aren’t SRO’s can apply for the GSS’s Group Event funding any time during the year. Funds are disbursed on a rolling basis.
To be eligible for the GSS’s Group Event funding, the group must meet ALL of these criteria:
- A non-SRO, as discussed in our Bylaws
- Student organizations who were eligible to apply for an annual budget through the SGA’s Annual Budget Hearings last Spring (whether or not they actually applied) are NOT eligible for apply for the GSS’s Group Event Funding!
- In good standing
- Organizing an event or endeavor which will benefit UMassD graduate students
- Beginning July 1st 2018, the organization must submit the Group Event Funding Request form at least 1 MONTH BEFOREthe beginning date of the event. Groups who submit their form less than 1 month before the beginning date of the event will be ineligible for funding of that request.
The fiscal year is July 1 – June 30.
- There is no cap on the amount of funding that a group can receive per fiscal year.
- If the event dates of a funding request span two fiscal years, the total requested amount will be assigned to the fiscal year of the first day of the event.
- Funding is on a “first come, first served” basis. The funding pool may be depleted without notice.
- A funding cap may be implemented for the next fiscal year.
Due to limited funds, the GSS requires all groups to first seek as much aid from other areas as possible (departmental funds, grants, the Student Government Association if undergraduate students will benefit from the event, other student groups whose members will benefit from the event, etc.).
To apply for GSS funds, the group must fill out the Group Event Funding Request form and submit it to the GSS at least 1 MONTH BEFORE the first date of travel.
- A group should apply for funding as soon as they have confirmed their event dates and developed a rough estimate of expenses.
- >>>CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GROUP EVENT FUNDING REQUEST FORM (EXCEL SPREADSHEET).<<<
- All grey fields must be filled in by the group prior to submission. The form will be returned to the group if any grey fields are empty.
- FUNDING REQUESTS FOR A RECURRING EVENT MUST INCLUDE THE PRIOR EVENT’S SUMMARY REPORT AND ALL RELATED RECEIPTS (INCLUDING FOOD, ENTERTAINMENT, AND VENUE EXPENSES), AS WELL AS THE TICKET SALES OR REGISTRATION LIST.
- IT IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO ALSO SUBMIT A BASIS FOR EACH BUDGET ESTIMATE LINE ITEM (SUCH AS VENDOR QUOTES, RECEIPTS FROM A PRIOR SIMILAR EVENT, PRINTOUTS OF WEBSITE PRICING FOR ITEMS), AS SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION.
- Per our Bylaws Section V.C.2.e, “specific event apparel directly related to the execution/promotion of the event will be covered by no more than $200,” and “travel expenses for lecturers or distinguished visitors to the University may be covered by no more than $500 per event.” Please refer to this section of the GSS Bylaws for more info.
- The Group Event Funding Request form must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
Click here for an example of a properly filled-out Group Event Funding Request form.
- GSS meetings are open, and GROUP REPRESENTATIVE(S) ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND THE GSS MEETING IN WHICH THE REQUEST WILL BE DEBATED AND VOTED ON to clarify any issues that may arise.
- If GSS funds are awarded, all event marketing materials MUST be shared with the GSS (via email to firstname.lastname@example.org) for circulation to graduate students as appropriate. The GSS reserves the right to add the GSS logo to any marketing materials for events funded by the GSS.
All awarded funds will be issued in the form of reimbursement, and original receipts will be required (within 90 days) in order to be reimbursed.
- Funds awarded to groups will be deposited into the group’s account upon approval from the SAIL office.